Monday, June 11, 2012

Mexican Bean Burger

A really good friend gave me the DVD:
Jeff Novick's Fast Foods and Burgers and Fries

I was really anxious to try some of Jeff's recipes. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I traveled with Dr. Hanz Diehl.
This is the original recipe.

Do not use blender or food processor to mash the beans as they wil get to watery. In a large bowl
Mix:
1 can drained and rinsed low sodium Kidney Beans
1 can drained and rinsed low sodium Pinto Beans
Mash with potato masher.
Add 1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup cooked brown rice
4 Tablespoons low sodium salsa
1-2 teaspoons Mexican Spice
2 teaspoons chili powder
garlic powder
onion powder
Mix well.
Makes 8 burgers
Make into patty and brown in a no-stick skillet (covered) for 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
I made these up and froze most for future use.
______________________________________________
The second time I made them I changed the recipe, as I felt they where rather dry.


  • 1 onion- chopped

  • 4 cloves of garlic- chopped
Brown onions and garlic in a none stick pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl:


  • Add 1 can of drained and rinsed kidney beans

  • Add 1 can of drained and rinsed pinto beans
Mash with potato masher.
Add:


  • 4 Tablespoons salsa-I used Frog Ranch Salsa

  • 2 cups brown or wild rice-I used wild rice as I had some in the frig.

  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal

  • Add browned onions and garlic

  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1/0-1 teaspoon onion powder

  • 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

  • 1 teaspoon cumin

  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano

  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • Liquid smoke-go easy

Mix Well!!!!

Make patties and brown in a none stick skillet. Cover. 2 1/2 minutes on each side.

Makes 8 burgers-

Enjoy!!!
.

2 comments:

Jean L. said...

WOW! Mexican & a burger. . will definitely try & let you know if it passes the spouse test.

Verna V said...

The spouse will love it. Thanks Jean for supporting my blog. Have a great food day.

Verna