Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Orange Sherbet in Orange cups



Oranges, oranges and more oranges. I just joined a food co-op. I picked up the produce on Saturday, and their where two bags of oranges in my box.

Would you know,I just bought a bag of oranges just a couple of days before!!!

What am I going to do with all those oranges?????

I had my friend, in for lunch on Monday, then another friend, on Tuesday.

You know me, I am always experimenting. This is what I did for my Monday friend.

Directions:

  1. I washed, dried, and then froze 4 large whole oranges in my freezer for about 3 1/2-4 hours. ( I would not freeze the oranges any longer than that.)
  2. Remove oranges from the freezer.
  3. I cut the ends off the orange, ( don't cut in too far, only want to get the very end of the orange) so that they would sit nice on a plate.
  4. Then I cut the oranges in half.
  5. I scooped the frozen pulp out of the oranges with a spoon, and put in the food processor.
  6. I added about 1/3 cup of Vanilla Soy Milk, about a cup of frozen banana's, sliced, a couple of large scoops of frozen Orange Concentrate (undiluted) about 1/3 cup of water.
  7. I processes this mixture in the food processor, until it was the consistency I wanted. (like soft serve ice cream)
  8. Add more water or bananas as needed.
  9. I added more bananas, more concentrate and water, to the proper consistency
  10. I then added about one teaspoon of orange zest and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut extract.
  11. Continue to process in the food processor.
  12. I put the "sherbet"back into the frozen orange shells, and sprinkled a little orange zest over the top.
  13. Then I put the oranges, filled with "sherbet" back in the freezer while we ate our meal. Of course this was our dessert.

I did the same thing for my Tuesday friend, except I drizzled choc sauce over the orange and plate before serving.

Chocolate Sauce:

I put chocolate chips in a measuring cup ( about 1/2 cup) with about 1 1/2 teaspoons EVOO.

Put in microwave for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Stir mixture, drizzle over the orange and plate.

My Monday friend had a really good dessert, But my Tuesday friend's dessert was even better.

The picture above is not what I served. I took the left over chocolate sauce, and basically just poured it over the " sherbet" after my friend left. I put it in the freezer and dug it out for the picture. The actual serving was much more attractive.

I will make this many more times, especially with summer coming up. It is going in my perminent files.

Just a note, if frozen for a period of time, it will get really hard. Give time for it to thaw, before serving.

My Monday and Tuesday friends, are my forever friends-just in case you wondered.

It's fun being creative and see what you come up with!!!! yes, Go for it!!!!!

.

No comments: