Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tacos-Black Bean

I have been really hungry for taco's, and finally got around to making them today. These are really very good. or was I just really hungry.

Tacos-Black Beans

Spray for pan
6 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 onion diced
2 carrots-finely shredded
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups Portabella Mushrooms, cleaned and chopped fine
1 15 oz can low sodium black beans rinsed, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoon Taco Seasoning (I used my home made taco seasonings, as commercial is high in sodium)
shake or two of Cayenne pepper-optional
About 1/2 cup taco sauce-I used Old El Paso mild Taco Sauce-Want to keep the sodium low.
This had about 90 mg of sodium.
taco shells low sodium

Toppings:
tomatoes-diced
shredded greens of choice
green onions chopped
sour cream, low sodium
Vegan Mazarrela Cheese

Directions
1-Heat sprayed skillet
2-Add chopped onion and garlic, stirring 2-3 minutes
3-Add basil, carrots, mushrooms, cook for 4-5 minutes more.
4-Add beans and taco seasoning
Mix well.
5-Add about 1/4-1/2 cup of water to pan. Add Taco sauce
6-Bring to boil. simmer for 15-20 min. Stirring frequently
Until carrots are tender.
7-Put a little cheese in bottom of taco shell. I used Fat Flush Tortilla Shells.
8- Pour a little taco sauce over "meat"
9-Add desired toppings.

I have changed the recipe considerably from original recipe

I would be really interested in your comment on this recipe. After the changes I really enjoyed it.

Taco Seasoning

Mix together in small container:

2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Keep refrigerated. I usually double the batch when I make it, and keep in a glass jar in the frig.

2 comments:

Verna V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Those were some really delicious tacos. They are super scrumptious on the fat flusher tortilla shells.

Deanna