Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Verna's Sloppy Joes

I have played around with this recipe, and this is what I have come up with.

Very good!!!

1 Tablespoon oil-optional
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves -minced fine
1 large green or red pepper, seeded and chopped
12 oz. chopped portabella mushroom-chop to consistency of hamburger
1-1 1/2 Tablespoons of chili powder
1 can black beans, rinsed and mashed
1 16 oz. bag of dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes-I used fresh tomatoes
3-4 cups water- or use broth that you made from broth bag
1 jar Green Mountain, Roasted Garlic Salsa
1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 Tablespoon Brown sugar
lots of freshly growned black pepper
I threw in about 1 cup roasted red peppers that I had in the frig-optional

Directions:
1-Brown onions, garlic and peppers in a large skillet, over medium heat. Cover and cook about 3-4 minutes.
2-Add portabella mushrooms, continue cooking for about 4-5 minutes longer. Add chili powder, stir to coat.
3-Transfer the mixture to a 4 qt slow cooker. add tomatoes, water, black beans, lentils, salsa, mustard brown sugar and pepper.
4-Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours. I started cooking on high the first 3-4 hours and then turned to low.

Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:

1-Your slow cooker will be full.
2- The first time I made it I put cleaned lentils into the slow cooker without cooking. You will need the 4 cups of water if you do it this way.
The next time I cooked my lentils for almost a hour, as I wanted them to get softer, before adding to slow cooker. Use only 3 cups of water at the most, if you do it this way.
3-Serve with a slab of tomato, slab of onion, on a high fiber roll or lightly toasted bread.
.
Whenever I make this recipe I like to make a meal for someone who could use it, or freeze extras for future use.
This freezes really well. I just took some out of the freezer and used it for my meat in my stuffed peppers.
Also last week I used the frozen Sloppy Joes
as the hamburger on my Taco Salad. (after thawing of course)

Enjoy, appreciate comments.

Have a wonderful day!! Laugh allot today, it will make someone else smile .

2 comments:

Robbi said...

Recipe looks yummy. I like all the added things. Thank you also for the updates on Woodman's sales. Nice quote.

Verna V said...

Thanks Robbi

These are really good. Missed you at Alumni meeting.
Have a great weekend.