Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas

I found this recipe in my December issue of Vegetarian Magazine


. Miracle of Miracles I made very few changes. With the sour cream, lime juice and cilantro on top it is really good.


I made a large pan full yesterday, put under the broiler. the door bell rings and by the time I got back to the kitchen, the top was burned. This morning with the leftovers I had enough to make this small amount which is perfect for me. What did I do with the burned enchiladas--picked off the burned part and will enjoy them until they are gone. Moral of this story- Don't answer the door when broiling the top. Or at best be sure to watch it carefully.




Ingredients:


Sauce


  • 1- 15 oz can low sodium tomato sauce

  • 1 3/4 cups low sodium vegetable broth- I used my home made broth

  • 2 teaspoon chili powder

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

  • 1 teaspoon oregano-oh maybe I did some changing, as I added 2 teaspoons oregano.

  • 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning

Filling:


  • 1 small onion diced- I used medium

  • 3 cups sweet potato peeled and diced

  • 1 15 oz can diced tomato's-drained

  • 1 16 oz. jar prepared medium salsa-low sodium

  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic

  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced

  • 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained

  • 1 12 oz. round queso fresco-I used daiya vegan cheese

Enchiladas



  • 16-6" tortillas

  • 2 limes, cut into wedges

  • 1 avocado -sliced for garnish

  • Sour cream for garnish

  • Cilantro for garnish

Directions:



  1. Put all sauce ingredients in a small kettle. Bring to boil. Remove from heat season with salt and pepper if necessary.I did put some shiracha sauce to pep it up some.

  2. In a heated sprayed kettle,saute onions for about 3-4 minutes.

  3. Add sweet potatoes,tomatoes, salsa, garlic chipolte chili, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil.

  4. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.

  5. Mash until combined. I used my immersion blender.

  6. Add black beans and cook for 5 minutes.

  7. Add half of the cheese and stir. Remove from heat.

Assembling Enchiladas



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Spray a 13" by 9" glass pan.

  3. Spread 1/2to 3/4 cup sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Fill tortillas with filling.



  1. Roll and pack seam side down in baking dish.

  2. Top with the remaining sauce and cheese

  3. Bake 15 minutes

  4. Adjust oven to broil and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.

  5. Leave rest 10 minutes before serving.

  6. Garnish with lime wedges, avocado slices, and sour cream and cilantro.

This is really good. But don't forget to try the Enchilada Casserole on my blog.


My immersable blender ;is used almost as much as my food processor. It comes in handy for so many things. Would be a wonderful Christmas present.



.






No comments: