Friday, August 10, 2012

Applesauce Spice Cake





I have been bed bound for the week and it was driving me crazy. So today I decide to try a new recipe.


This cake is absolutely wonderful. It is oh so very good.




I gave a lot of it to my therapist and friend today, as I did not want it in the house. Just way too yummy!!! Plus Jenny has a husband and two hungry boys.




Wet Ingredients:




  • 2 cups unsweetened applesauce

  • 3/4 cups unrefined sugar. (The recipe called for 1 cup. Next time I will cut it back even more, to 1/2 cup.)

  • 2 Tablespoons frozen Apple Juice Concentrate-don't dilute.

  • 1/4 cup mild olive oil. ( I did use but next time I am going to use applesauce in place of the oil. Did not want to make to many changes all at once.)

  • 2 teaspoons flax meal-I used ground flax seed.

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all of these ingredients in a large bowl, and set aside.



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Lightly spray a glass 13 by 9 inch pan.

Dry Ingredients:



  • 1 & 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (make sure it is pastry flour as that is a lighter flour)

  • 1 & 1/2 cup white unbleached flour

  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon-I used 1 & 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda -non-aluminum

  • 3/4 teaspoon salt-I used 1/2 teaspoon salt.

  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves-I used a whisker more

  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger-again I used a whisker more.

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts-I used more like a cup.

  • 1/2 cup raisins-I used 3/4 cup.



Directions:


  1. Combine dry ingredients.

  2. Gradually combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients.

  3. Do not over mix. Pour batter in greased glass pan.

  4. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Frosting:


This was a little more interesting.



  • I used 3/4 cup Dari Free Powder-I found this at Woodmans.

  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance Margarine-I use the red container.

  • 1/4 cup maple syrup

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla.

I put this in a a bowl and it got hard as a rock. So I ended up putting it in a food processor and blended it well. I did add a little more powder. It never got thick but tasted really good so I put it on the cake like a glaze. Actually I pooked holes in the cake with a fork first and then put on the glaze. I did not use it all.


Sprinkle with nuts.


Enjoy!!!




No comments: