Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cashew Nut Cheeze Dip

I found this recipe in the Vegan Comfort Food Cookbook by Alicia C. Simpson. It is amazing how cashews mimic the taste and texture of dairy products such as cream, milk and cheese.  This is a great party dip with crackers or veggies. It is also a great sandwich spread.
 
After I made it I didn't think I liked it. After it sat in the frig overnight, I thought it was very tasty. Oh boy, how I hate waiting for something to get to where I would like it. Patience is not my virtue! Maybe when I get way older.
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 & 1/2 cups raw cashews
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4 whole oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3/4 cup water- I did not use it all.
  • Dash of cumin
 
Directions:
  1. The recipe didn't call for it but I soaked the cashews in water for several hours. This makes them softer so they blend better. Drain well.
  2. Put all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender, scraping down sides of the bowl..
  3. Blend till very smooth.
  4. This will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator..
  5. Oh yes, I did add 2-3 Tablespoons low sodium sour cream to the recipe.-or sour cream of choice.
Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  • I added several handsfull of fresh basil to the mixture at the end of the processing.
  • Also added about 4 green onions with the tops. 
  • I thought it tasted so much btter this way. 
  • I did not add sour cream this time.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: