Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sweet Potato Stew

Oh my, if you want a real comfort food  give this recipe a try. The best part is, yes it is CHIP approved.
I had these Garnet Yams on my chopping block for way too long and needed to  use them before they spoiled.
This flavorful stew is the courtesy of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. She recommends serving this over quinoa (which is incredibly nutritious) couscous (which is a traditional North African accompaniment) or over brown rice. I did not put it over anything, but just ate it like a stew. It is very enjoyable
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons water for sauteing
  • 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves-minced-( I used about 5)
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2 squares
  • 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can 15 oz. diced tomatoes or 2 fresh-(I used a bunch of grape tomatoes that I had on hand)1/2-3/4 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( I use Siracha Sauce)
  • 3 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
  • Fresh cilantro ( I had frozen cubed cilantro in my freezer and put in 3 cubes into the stew)
  • unsalted peanuts-for garnish
Directions:
  1. Heat water in a soup bowl over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers, cover and cook about 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in brown sugar, ginger, cumin,cinnamon and cayenne pepper stirring or 30 seconds.
  3. Stir in peanut butter and distributed in throughout. (you may want to thin out peanut butter first by mixing it in a small bowl with just a little water. Makes it much easier to incorporate it into the stew)
  4. Add sweet potatoes, kidney beans, and tomatoes, stir to coat.
  5. Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
  6. Taste and add seasonings  to your taste. Serve in individual bowls, topped with chopped cilantro and peanuts.
  7. (If you don't like cilantro, try chopped parsley.)
Thoughts from Verna's test Kitchen:
  • I took a couple tablespoons of cornstarch with  about 1/2 cup vegetable broth, whisk it together to thicken soup.
  • I also added 2-3 tespoons, no sodium Wylers Chicken Boullion.
  • Remembr soups and stews are always better the second and third day.
I would be interested in you comment on this recipe!
Enjoy!!

No comments: