Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Endurance Crackers

These are the easiest crackers to make. I find so many of the crackers that you buy in the store, are either very high in sodium or if low in sodium have no flavor.
Because it was the first time I made these, I wasn't real sure how much seasonings to put in the crackers. The recipe left it up to our own discretion. Next time I would add more seasonings and maybe a touch of hot sauce.(so says Jean)
 
I found this recipe on the web by Angela Liddon
Prep time 5 minutes
Baking time 60 minutes
 
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita/pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon grated sweet onion-I used 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 large garlic clove finely grated-I used 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl mix the seeds together.
  3. In a small bowl mix the water, garlic and onion powder, and any other seasonings or herbs you may add.
  4. ( I added 2 teaspoons Italian Seasonings )  Whisk well.
  5. Pour the water mixture over the seeds and mix very well.
  6. Spread the mixture on the parchment paper, with the back of a spoon (hands work better) until it's less than 1/4 inch thick. Patch up any holes in the mixture.
  7. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven, slice into crackers. Carefully flip over to the other side.
  9. Bake another 30 minutes, watching closely after 25 minutes so they don't burn.
  10. Let cool completely on the pan.
  11. Store in airtight container or plastic baggy.
Tips from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. I sprinkled the crackers very lightly with salt, just beore going into the oven. By sprinkling the top of the crackers, it will give the crackers much more of a salty flavor.
  2. Next time I would add a touch of Siracha Sauce.
  3. I also would like to try Mrs. Dashes Tomato, Basil Garlic, Blend. Maybe 2 1/2 teaspoons to 3 teaspoons. 
  4. I am really excited to experiment with this recipe as I feel it has tons of possibilities.

Enjoy!!!!

2 comments:

Jean L. said...

YUM. . .YUM. . These are very good and the fiber fills you up fast.
Thanks for sharing some with me.

Verna V said...

You are so special Jean. Glad you liked them. I would be interested in what you do with the crackers for seasonings is you should decide to make them..