Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cauliflower Colcannon

This is an Irish Dish which is usually made with potatoes instead of the cauliflower.
I found the basic recipe on  Meet The Shannons Blog.
It is very nice as a side dish or as the main course. I found this dish very enjoyable.  You can spice it up more if you like. The cauliflower is creamy and the broccoli al donte. Don't oversteam the broccoli.

.CHIP Classes start next week and I am trying really hard to behave myself and stay away from the healthy desserts and breads. (my downfall, especially good bread)
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces and steamed.
  • 2 1/2 cups kale,  remove stem and cut into bite size pieces. I used 3 cups.
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 dashes of liquid smoke-I used 3 dashes Hickory Liquid Smoke
  • 2 clove  garlic, minced- I used 4
  • 1 leek thinly sliced
  • 2 small scallion, diced, use greens also. I did 4.
  • 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon sour cream of choice-I used 3, as it was very dry.
  • Freshly ground black Pepper to taste.
  • Salt-I used none.
  • 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipolte Seasonings-Verna's addition.
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley-Verna's addition.
 
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Steam cauliflower until al dante. Put in food processor ad blend until smooth.
  3. Melt coconut oil in a large kettle. Add liquid smoke. When oil is hot toss in chopped leek  garlic and scallions. Cook until tender.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. You do not want to cook the kale. Just want it to go limp.
  5. Put in a medium size oven container.
  6. Top with a touch of Earth Balance and bake until warmed through and top is lightly browned and crusty around the edges.
Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. If you wanted to add some cheese of your choice, that would be really good in here.
  2. Also you could do a  bread crumb topping , which would make it really good.
 
Enjoy!!!

No comments: