Monday, April 15, 2013

Sweet Potato Quesadillas with Cucumber Relish

I found this recipe in the April addition of Better Homes and Gardens.
Sweet potatoes get a nutty, peppery flavor from the cumin and zip from jalapeno pepper and lime juice. Plenty of fiber in both the sweet potato and beans. Also a great source of protein.
Ingredients:
**-means check comments on the bottom.
  • **1  15 oz. navy beans rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • **1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
  • **1/2 cucumber, quartered and sliced
  • 3-4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
  • 12 oz. sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • **4 Fat Flush Tortillas-Found at Festival-in the Natural Food Aisle in the freezer
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
  • 2 green onions thinly sliced-I used 4
  • 3/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese or cheese of choice
  • Plain Greek Yogurt-optional
  • Paprika-optional
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine beans, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno pepper and **chili pepper. Set aside.
  2. For the cucumber relish:
  3. In another small bowl combine cucumbers, radishes and remaining cilantro. Set aside.
  4. In a medium covered saucepan cook the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender.
  5. Remove from heat, and drain.
  6. Return sweet potatoes to the pan and coarsely mash.
  7. Add the cumin to the sweet potatoes and mix.
  8. Spread on the 4 tortillas shells.
  9. Top each with 1/4 of the bean mixture.
  10. Top with spinach and green onions and then the cheese.
  11. Fold each tortilla in half over the filling pressing gently.
  12. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
  13. Cook quasadillas, 2 at a time until nicely browned.
  14. Flip quesadillas cook again until lightly browned.
  15. Cut into wedges.
  16. Serve with cucumber relish, Greek Yogurt, and sprinkled with paprika if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Tips from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. I did not have time  to soak navy beans, so I used Kurner's Garbanzo Beans with only 10 milligrams of sodium compared to over 400 with the canned Navy Beans. You can fined Kuner's Beans at Festival on Northland Ave. in aisle 4. Also at Woodmen s in the bean aisle.
  2. I used almost a entire cucumber as I hate dips and daps in my frig. just to go bad.
  3. Also added more radishes and cilantro for the same reason.
  4. I had about 18 oz. of sweet potato, again I used it all, just added more cumin.
  5. I browned my quesadillas in coconut oil.
  6. You can spice these up as much as you like.
  7. Oh yes I used 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash, Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning in place of the ancho chili powder.
  8. If you are like me I would  like to cook all 4 at the same time, as I am always in a hurry. By doing this you will reduce the heat and your quesadillas will absorb way to much of the oil.
  9. Because I had more ingredients then required, I could have ended up with 6 quesadillas instead of 4. But I squished all the ingredients into the 4.
  10. I had an avocado in the frig that needed to be used so added that to the cucumber mixture.
Enjoy!!

If you see spelling errors, my spell check is not working and if you notice the time, I am not navigating to well either.

No comments: