Friday, January 17, 2014

Philly Style Broccoli, Provolone and Portabella Sandwich

I had 2 college grandchildren for lunch today. I made this really healthy sandwich, but let the girls put on their own cheese. They LOVE cheese. I found this recipe in the January/February Vegetarian Times Magazine. Of course I tweaked it some. If the Chippers from this class want to make this, that is great after the 2nd day of the7 day Jump Start. But please no cheese OK.
I let my grandgirls have as much cheese as they want as I want them to come back again. This is sooooooo
very good. Give it a try I think you will love it.
I bought a baguette at Breadsmith, and sliced it into 3 long pieces. I cut  the top off so it would lay flat.
I am giving you the recipe the way I made it.

Directions:
  1. Steam 2 lbs broccoli  for 1 1/2-2 minutes that has been cut into bite size pieces. Drain
  2. Put in a medium size kettle.
  3. Add 1 cup roasted red peppers cut into bite size pieces.
  4. 1 teaspoon or so of Mrs Dashes Southwestern Chipolte seasoning-or to taste.
  5. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste.
  6. Saute for a few minutes. do not over cook.

  1. In another kettle saute 6-8 green onions,chopped..
  2. 4 large portabella mushrooms sliced.( not chopped)
  3. 1 1/2 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar. I used Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar from Olive Cellar.
  4. Toast slices of baguette under the broiler-I spread the bread lightly with Earth Balance Spread. Use the red container please.. you can find it at Woodman's and Festival Foods.
  5. Cover with the broccoli mixture and then the mushroom mixture.
  6. Broil until heated through.
  7. Remove from broiler and top with cheese. I used provolone.
  8. Return to broiler until melted. I had very little cheese on mine and it is wonderful.

Double the recipe and refrigerate for a quick put together sandwich after a hard days work.

Enjoy!!!


No comments: