Saturday, January 18, 2014

Trigo Tacos

Last weekend my daughter and I went to Chicago for a "healthy" cooking class. On the way down we made a few stops in Milwaukee. One of the places we stopped was Beans & Barley  Restaurant on 1901 E North St. I would highly recommend this place if you are ever in Milwaukee.
 I decided to have the Trigo Taco. It was absolutely excellent. They gave me the recipe, but it served a large amount of people, so I had to cut the recipe down. Here goes.

This will make 12 tacos. Use soft tacos
  • Cook 1 cup Bulgar in 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth.
 While Bulgar is cooking, Saute the Following:
  • 1 cup onions,, diced small
  • 1 cup tomatoes, diced small
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, diced small
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, diced small
  • Add 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt-go easy-I did not add that much
  • 1/4 cup Mexican Spice-I went on line to find out what was in Mexican Spice and made my own mixture
  1. Cook for several minutes blending flavors.
  2. When Bulgar is cooked add to vegetable mixture.
  3.  At this point I added more broth-Not sure of the amount, but probably 1/2  cup or so more. You want a nice taco consistency.
Add seasonings to taste.

Make your own Mexican Spice:
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon coriander
  • 1 tablespoon paprika 
  • 1 tablespoon oregano 
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Use 1/4 cup of this in the recipe.

Garnish:
  • 3 cups red cabbage finely sliced.
  • 3 cups green cabbage finely sliced.

Sauce:
I changed this part considerably.

  • 12 oz. sour cream of choice-I use low sodium with 15 milligrams sodium.
  • 1-2 teaspoons lime zest-the recipe did not call for it-but it was really good in there.
  • 1/2 tablespoons lime juice.
  • 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dashes Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning.
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt-I did not use.
  • 1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine-I use 1 teaspoon dried cilantro.
Mix together.

Directions:
  1. Warm the soft tacos.
  2.  Put the  Bulgar mixture on the taco. 
  3. Garnish with  raw cabbage.
  4. Add the sour cream mixture.
  5. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!!


No comments: