Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Banana Stuffed Bread

I had lots of over ripe bananas and wanted to use them. This is a spin-off of Bananas Foster. I made up the recipe as I went, and had it for breakfast.

All of these ingredients are approximates, as I did not measure anything. A friend stopped by and I gave her a piece of it and she thought it was really good.

1/4 cup oil
about 1/2 cup Brown Organic Sucanat
3-4 bananas peeled, cut into coins
1 1/2 teaspoon or so of cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Vanilla Soy Milk
Egg Replacer-2 eggs- mix, let sit 5 minutes or so
About 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons Carob Powder
11/2 teaspoons Rum Extract
Bread-I was looking for something like Sour-Dough Bread with low sodium. I wanted to cut the bread about 4" thick slices and cut the slices 3/4 of the way through and stuff them with filling.
I could not find what I was looking for and used 2 Ezekiel slices of bread for each serving.

Directions:
1- Heat oil in pan, add sucanat, and bring to a boil. Add banana coins and cinnamon. Cooked 4-5 minutes on medium heat till soft, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add Rum Extract, mix well. Put about 1/3 of banana filling on a slice of bread, top with another slice of bread. (keep away from the edges of bread)
2-In blender, mix, soy milk, egg replacer, carob powder. Blend well. Pour into a bowl that the bread will fit in. Dip bread into mixture, both sides, put in sprayed glass pan.
3- Bake 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.

I ended up using 6 slices of bread. Stuffing it gave me 3 sandwiches.

I would think you could use other fruits also, with a little tweaking.
Just a thought-wouldn't this banana filling be great on a healthy ice cream? I will work on that and get back to you.

If you find a long skinny loaf of bread, high fiber, low sodium, please let me know.

If you make this I would be interested in your comments.

No comments: