Monday, March 4, 2013

Banana Granola Parfait

A friend was going to stop by early this morning, but just called and said she could not make it. I made these parfait's for a little treat when she came to visit.
Well anyway, I got my house cleaned up, that is always a good thing.

I found this recipe in the Forks Over Knives Cookbook.
I should have put a strawberry on top of the parfait. You can use any fruit you like but Aldi's has strawberry's on sale for 99 cents a carton. so I chose to go that route. (they will be on sale until Wednesday).
This was really very tasty and quick and easy. How I love that combination when I am in a hurry.

Ingredients for Banana Cream:
  • 1 -12 oz. pkg Mori-Nu silken firm Tofu
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:
  1. Drain the tofu.
  2. Combine all ingredient in  food processor. Blend until very creamy, scraping down the sides of the food processor..
  3. Put contents in a glass covered container and refrigerate several hours.

To asemble the Parfait:
  1. Put a few spoonsful of the banana cream in the bottom of a parfait glass.(recipe said 3/4 of the banana cream-which I feel is way to much).
  2. Top with granola of choice. (recipe said 1/4 cup. seemed like too much).
  3. Top with 1/4 cup of fruit of choice. (I feel the parfait should consist mostly of fruit.)
  4. Continue layering until container is full. Ending with just a touch of granola with a fresh strawberry.
Tips from Verna's Kitchen:
  1. Ripe banana's are banana with black spots on them. Ripe bananas will be much sweeter than the yellow banana's
  2. I/2 cup Brown Rice Syrup is way too much. 1/3 cup is plenty.
  3. Do not use substitutions for the tofu.
  4. Of course fresh lemon juice would be best.
  5. Wouldn't a vanilla bean be great in here. Scrape out the seeds and put in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Put the vanilla pod in the glass container, with the rest of the ingredients, when you refrigerate it. I am going to do that this Friday as I am having company in for lunch.

Give this recipe a try as it is very enjoyable.



No comments: