Saturday, March 2, 2013

Almond Joy Candy

If you like Almond Joy Bars--------You will looooooooooove these.
My granddaughter was home from college and wanted to spend the day with me. She loves eating vegan so it was a fun day making vegan foods. went to a movie, did some shopping and made her a flower arrangement for her dorm.
Of course I had to make something fun for her that I could send back with her.
I gave these candies a try and oh if you like coconut, you will love these.
Also they are very easy to make. The recipe said to push the coconut filling into the bottom of a small muffin tin.  Didn't sound appealing to me. I made one batch and rolled them into very small balls and then dipped them in chocolate, when set up. I wanted to make them look more like a candy bar so this batch I pressed the coconut filling down in a 8 "square glass pan. I liked the balls the best of all.
Just a note before you make this recipe. I did use coconut oil in this recipe. In fact that is the only oil I will use. Yes it is a saturated fat, but from a coconut!!!! Way different than the saturated fat from animals and dairy.
Please do not use coconut oil because I say so. Do your own research on it. also please read the book on The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife, CN, MD
also the book Virgin Coconut Oil by Brian and Marianita Jader Shilhavy.
The only cream I use on my face and skin is coconut oil ( I have a separate jar for this, aren't you glad). Coconut oil on your skin is healing and anti-aging.

For the Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut +2 Tablespoons honey
If sweetened coconut, please use no added sweetener.
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil-preferably virgin
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract-please no imitations
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cups chocolate chips of choice

Directions:
  1. Combine coconut, sweetener if using, coconut oil, vanilla and salt in a food processor.
  2. Mix until well blended.. Form into very small coconut balls, that have been put on parchment lined sheet, and freeze.
  3. Melt chips with coconut oil, stirring well.
  4. Dip coconut balls in the chocolate with a small smooth.
  5. Put back on the parchment lined sheet.
  6. Freeze.
  7. Remove from frig 1/2 hour before serving.

A note from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. Don't bother with a single batch, double it as they will not last very long.
  2. Coconut oil will melt in a very warm room. I am not sure how these would keep if they were kept at room temperature, so the best thing is to keep them frozen. Hopefully will help to keep away any temptation also.
  3. Wouldn't these be cool cut into  very small bars size piece and put a almond on top before putting on the chocolate.
  4. I gave no credit to where I found the recipe as I changed it.
  5. Melt chocolate chips with 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil.
  6. Drop coconut balls in chocolate.
  7. Put back on parchment lined baking sheet and freeze.
  8. When chocolate is set up put in a covored container and freeze.
Enjoy, but not too much!!!

No comments: