Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

  
I had this recipe hanging on my frig for several months, among's two zillion other recipes.I have been wanting to try it for forever. Well forever happened today  as some dear friends have been picking me up for several activites. How I appreciate that, as I so hate driving on these bad roads. Well in return to all the people I owe favors to I just bake for them. Which I totally love doing
.
This recipe came from Angella Liddon, with lots of changes from Verna.
I have a real problem with theis recipe. They are just far to yummy and very easy to make.
I made them and delivered them to the people I wanted to have, so that I would not snitch..
Having them in the house is just way to dangerous. for my already not to thin waistline.
I have a daughter in law who is just a delight but does not like food. How I wish I had that problem.
Anyway here is that naughty recipe-yes vegan, but still naughty.
Ingredients:
 
For the crust:
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 4 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2  teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 1/2-4 cups crispy rice cereal
Caramel Filling:
  • 1 1/2 cups Medjool Date's-soaked for a half hour or so.-drained, and pits removed.
  • 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Almond milk-more if needed
  • pinch of  salt
Chocolate Topping
  • 1/2-3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips of choice
  • 2  teaspoon coconut oil-optional
Directions:
 
 
  1. Line and 9" by 13" glass pan with a double layer of parchment paper.
  2. In a small kettle  add rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla. add a pinch of salt. Cook until all melted.
  3. Put rice cereal in a large bowl, pour syrup over and mix well. Put into glass pan, pat down and put in freezer for 15-20 minutes while doing the Carmel mixture.
Carmel Mixture:
Soak date for 1/2 hour or so. Drain and remove pits.
             Put pitted dates, peanut butter, milk and salt in a food processor.  Blend until  very    creamy scraping down the side several times.
  1. Spread over frozen base.
  2. Put back in freezer to set up for 10-15 minutes.
  3. Melt chocolate chips  with coconut oil and spread over top.
  4. When set cut into the size pieces you like.
  5. Refrigerate or freeze ( or give them to a friend, you will make them happy) until ready to eat.
Tips from Verna's Test Kitchen:
 
       Spray the parchment paper lightly.-You will be glad that you did.
  1. You do not need to soak dates if they are nice and fresh. I did mine as they were in the frig a spell. Make sure to use Medjool dates as they are much sweeter. Found at Festival Foods by the bananas. Not all stores carry them.
  2. I did not have almond milk in the house so used Vanilla soymilk and added 1 teaspoon of almond flavoring.
  
Enjoy, but not tooooo much!!!!

No comments: