Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Verna's Sloppy Joes

This weekend I was so anxious to make a African Kale Soup to put on my blog. I had kale in the frig that was not getting any younger, so I needed to use it. The recipe called for saffron, which you know is very expensive.
 How I love to cook and try new recipes,  or come up with my own, but what a dissipointment when they do not turn out, especially when the recipe says the best ever. Umm, who's best!!!!
I am not interested in getting married, but it sure would be nice to have someone to cook for.
So I am sorry but you are not getting that recipe. But you can come over and help me eat it if you like.
Well today I decided to try some Sloppy Joes. Rather than using someone else's recipe this is what I did and they turned out really good. picture above.
Ingredients:
  • 3-3  1/2  cups cooked lentils. I used brown lentils as I had some already cooked in my freezer. I would have prefered to use the red lentils as they are a whisker sweeter and give the red color you want for Sloppy Joes.
  • 1 large carrot finelly chopped
  • 1 onion-chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic-chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper-chopped-any color would work.
  • 4-6 small portabells chopped hamburger size-optional
  • 4 oz. tomato paste
  • 15 oz can tomatoes-I used my canned tomtoes
  • 1 &1/2-2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar or sweetner of choice
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon oregno
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash-Southwestern Chipolte seasoning
  • 1/3 cup  salsa-I used salsa that I canned last summer
  • 4 Herb-Ox no sodium Buillion
  • 3 Tablespoons dried parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • I threw in a few chopped pickled jalepenos that I canned last summer.
Directions:
  1. Cook lentils according to pkg directions.
  2. Saute onion, garlic in in spryed pan 2-3 minutes. Add carrots, portabellas and pepper and continue to saute until everything is tender.
  3. Add the spices, tomato paste and stir well.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients and Season to your taste.
Serve on bun of choice. I used Ezekiel Muffins in the blue box. (found in freezer container at Festivals Natural Food Aisle.

Add tomatoes, greens or whatever you would like to eat with this. I like open face. I love good bread waaaaaaaaaaay too much.

This makes a nice size amount for you to freeze if need to.

Enjoy!!

I wouldn't tell you the best ever as you may not agree. But if you do like, please leave a comment.

No comments: