Monday, February 25, 2013

Black Bean Nachos

I made this and took it to my sons last evening. Everyone loved it. I left the leftovers with my sons family as I  knew if I brought it home I would have been picking at it all night Next time I would cut back on the cheese and use 2-2&1/2 cups.
.
I was so excited about using cranberry beans (which the recipe called for) as I thought they would have a cranberry flavor, which they didn't. Boring!! Next time I would replace the beans with black beans which would look very cool in this dish.

I changed quite a few things from the original recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked black beans beans, drained and cooled..or canned, rinsed and drained.(forget the cranberry beans).
  • 3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained.
  • 1/2 medium red onion chopped in bite size pieces
  • 3 plum tomatoes, chopped and drained.
  • 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded,deveined and chopped
  • 4 small limes
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
  • A wee bit of salt-like a pinch        
  • 1 large bag of baked  tortilla chips, low sodium
  • 3 cups low sodium mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice.
  • 3 avocados chopped
  • Touch of agave nectar if needed or to taste
  • Fresh cilantro chopped
Directions:
  1. Turn oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Prepare salsa, combining all ingredients except chips, cheese, avacado and cilantro. Adjust seasonings to taste.
  3. I put all the salsa ingredients into a strainer to get rid of any liquid.
  4. Spread tortilla chips, single layer on a parchment laden baking sheet,
  5. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the top.
  6. Cover with drained salsa.
  7. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and chips crispy.

While the Nachos are baking, make a sauce.
Sauce:
  1. 1 1/2 cups of sour cream of choice ( or yogurt)-I used a very low sodium.
  2. 2-3 lime juiced.
  3. 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning or more if  you like spicy.
  4. 1 healthy teaspoon paprika
  5.  2-3 Tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro.
  6. Mix well.

Remove from oven and serve immedietly, sprinkled with the avocados, cilantro and sauce.

This is really good give it a try.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: