Friday, February 1, 2013

Cindy's Quick Penne with Broccoli and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Another pasta salad. I know it looks a lot like the last salad I posted, but it is totally different.
I am not into pasta, but I sure have a thing for bow tie pasta.  Don't figure!!! Must be a head thing, but they are just so cute.

I hope you give this salad a try as it is very good. The recipe came from Cindy Vandenberg, a CHIP graduate. Thanks Cindy, we really appreciate it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound whole-grain penne or other pasta-I used about 1/2 pound
  • 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into bite size florets
  • 1 jar (8 oz) oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped-I used dried
  • 1-2 tablespoons EVOO
  • 12 large leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic-I did more
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
  • salt-optional
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in the penne. Decrease the heat and continue to cook until al donte.
  2. Add the broccoli and cook only for a minute or two. The broccoli should be crisp-tender.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the sun dried tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon of the oil, basil,and garlic powder.
  4. Drain the broccoli and penne. While still piping hot, pour over tomato mixture
  5. Add the wheat germ and toss gently.
  6. Season with pepper (and salt if you  must), toss and serve immediately.

Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. Can there be tomatoes and fresh basil without mozzarella cheese?
  2. I did add some vegan mozzarella to the dish.
  3. Also added a couple shakes of Mrs. Dash Salt Free Tomato Basil and Garlic Seasonings.
  4. Also added a shake or two of Mrs. Dash Salt Free Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning.
  5. Also added some grape tomatoes that I cut in half. (they where on the cupboard and needed to be used) .

No comments: