Monday, March 25, 2013

Coconut Cream Pie with Pineapple Topping

I made this yesterday and took it to my son's house for supper. I think everyone liked it.
A friend came today to help me rip off wallpaper in another bedroom. I served her this for lunch and she loved it. It would make a great dessert for Easter. It is really tasty.

Ingredients:
1 pie-crust, pre-baked
1 batch pineapple topping. Recipe below.
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1 can coconut milk. full fat, not light
  • 1 1/4 almond milk
  • 3/4 cup firm Mori-Nu Silken Tofu
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
  1. Bake pie crust.
  2. Toast coconut on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven until golden brown. About 6 minutes Set aside.
  3. In a food processor combine coconut milk, almond milk, tofu, sugar, cornstarch and salt until completely smooth.
  4. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
  5. remove from heat and add vanilla and 1 cup of the toasted coconut.
  6. Pour into the baked pie crust and refrigerate for a few hours.
  7. Meanwhile make pineapple topping.
  8. When pie and topping have set, spread  cooled pineapple mixture over the top of the pie.
  9. Sprinkle with remaining coconut over the top.
Pineapple Topping
  • 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance
  • 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
Directions:
  1. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small saucepan.
  2. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons of juice from the pineapple until no lumps remain.
  3. Add remaining pineapple and it's juices, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
  4. Remove from heat and whisk in earth Balance. Refrigerate a couple of hours before using.

Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen
  1. When toasting the coconut, watch very closely as it burns very easily.
  2. The recipe called for 3/4 cup of tofu. I use the entire box as I hate dips and daps in my frig.
  3. I did not have Almond  Milk in the house, so I used my soy milk and added 1 teaspoon Almond Flavoring.
  4. I used less sugar than it called for, but next time I am going to try 2/3 teaspoon Stevia, dry.
  5. I made the pineapple topping the night before.
This is really good, give it a try.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: