Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cranberry Wild Rice Salad

My friend Debbie R. gave me this recipe. She got it from Zuppa's Market Cafe and Catering.
I am bringing it to the potluck this evening. The bottom picture is an individual salad.
 For the potluck I put baby spinach around my 13" by 9" glass container, and put the salad in there. I wanted it to look attractive as that is half of a recipe. I also changed the recipe as it was pricey to make.
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups wild rice-cooked
  • 1 cup walnuts-chopped
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 1 cup slivered almonds-I used sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 green onions-chopped-I used 5 green onions
  • 2 celery ribs-chopped
  • 1 cup dried blueberries-I did not use.
I added:
  • 1 red sweet pepper chopped-The salad needed color
  • 1 large container-mandarin oranges-drained
Directions:
Mix above ingredients together.
Dressing:
2 Tablespoons walnut oil
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Black pepper to taste
Mix well and pour over salad and mix..
I also put in 1-2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar.

Tips from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. I'd prefer not to use any oil in this recipe.
  2. The next time I make this recipe I am going to totally eliminate the dressing and use Olive Cellars, Cranberry and Pear Balsamic Vinegar.
  3. Balsamic vinegar is much sweeter than other vinegars and I believe it would be perfect in this recipe.
  4. Did you know if you cook balsamic vinegar to the point when it sheet on the back of a spoon, you will have a very sweet vinegar.
I just made this salad with the Cranberry and Pear Balsamic Vinegar ( I did not use the dressing above) and it was  very good. I did add a touch of agave nectar and a little Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: