Friday, December 6, 2013

Spinach Mango & Sugar Snap Pea Salad





I don't usually put croutons and pecans on my salads, but when I have friends or family in for a meal I like to make it special. This salad is really tasty. I love all the crunch that it has. Make sure your mango is ripe. It's not a good time of year for mangoes but it makes the salad.



Ingredients for the Mango Dressing:
  • 1 large mango, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 Tablespoon walnut or almond oil-I did not use
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove coarsely chopped-I use 2-3
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger-I used more like 2 teaspoons
  • 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard-I used Dijon Mustard
  • 1-2 teaspoons raw Agave Nectar or  raw honey
  • Pinch of salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Mix everything well in the food processor.
  • Refrigerate to marinate flavors. It will keep for a few days in frig.
  •  
Salad:
  • 8 oz fresh baby spinach-I used way less.
  • 3-4 green onions-I used like 6. Use the green part also.
  • 1 large mango, peeled and diced.
  • 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonal
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste. 

Directions:

  1. Mix salad ingredients together, refrigerate until ready to use.
  2. Mix dressing ingredients together in separate bowl .
  3. When ready to use, I  put spinach in the bottom of individual bowls. Mix some of the dressing with salad mixture-do not over dress the salad. Put some of the tossed salad on top of spinach.
  4. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and croutons.

Enjoy!!



1 comment:

Jean L. said...

MMMMM. . .so delish. . .and a treat to eat!! Thanks for the "Verna's Place" experience.
A "must" place to visit on your culinary journey.