Sunday, December 29, 2013

Verna's Egg Rolls with Plum Sauce

 I am having friends in Friday for a Chinese Meal. Well with Chinese you have to have egg rolls. I found a recipe that baked the egg rolls, the only problem was the ingredients. Well I made them into a Veggie Egg Roll and they were really good. I wanted to try them out before Friday to make sure I could serve to company and they would enjoy. I think they will love these. I will cut them in half on an angle to serve, but left them whole for the picture.Give them a try.

Ingredients:
This is my interpretation.
  • 8 oz. cremini mushrooms chopped-these are the small portabellas.
  • 4 green onion, chopped
  • 3-4 garlic, minced
  • A good hand full of sugar pea pods, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped or grated
  • 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce-make sure it is low sodium- this was 65 milligrams.
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons Wyler's chicken bouillon, no sodium
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Large egg roll wrappers-Do not use wonton wrappers- I found them at Festival Foods with the produce
  • 1 teaspoon EVOO.
  • Plum Sauce-( I was going to make my own but no plums available this time of the year, so I bought Plum Sauce at Festival in the Asian Aisle...

Directions:
  1. I chopped everything in my food processor, one type of vegetable at a time to the consistency I wanted.
  2. Chop mushrooms to hamburger consistency, saute in coconut oil 2-4 minutes.
  3. Add onions, garlic and carrots. Continue sauteing about 3 minutes or so.
  4. Add water chestnuts and pea pods.
  5. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and Worcestershire Sauce.
  6. Add to veggie mixture with sesame oil and black pepper. cook another minute or so.
  7. Place wrapper on work service and brush lightly with water.
    Add about 3 Tablespoons veggie mixture near the bottom and across the wrapper to a inch or so of the end of wrapper.
  8. Roll up egg roll., pinch ends to seal.
  9. Put on parchment lined baking sheet with seam side down.
  10. Brush the tops of egg rolls lightly with EVOO so they brown.
  11. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes to 30 minutes until golden brown.. Watch closely, as you do not want to burn them.
  12. When I took them out of the oven I placed them on paper toweling as there was some oil on them that dripped down.
  13. Serve with Plum Sauce
In case you are interested I am making a Pineapple  Stir Fry with this. also Gingered Green Beans with Roasted slivered Almonds and still working on a dessert idea.

I will put it on my blog Friday if it turns out.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: