Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pea Burgers


Yes, I said Pea Burgers. I would have never tried these, except I was watching Alton Brown and he was making these on his show. Here's my version.

They are really very tasty.

Ingredients:

1 medium onion-chopped
1 large red bell pepper- chopped
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
4-6 oz. chopped mushrooms
1 cup dry yellow split peas
1/2 cup Brown Rice
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
3 cups vegetable broth

salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

1-In large sprayed skillet, sweat onions and bell pepper.- about 5 minutes--Do not brown
2-Add garlic and mushrooms-continue sweating about 4 minutes.
3-Add broth and the rest of the ingredients.
4-Bring to boil-cover and simmer 1 hour.
5-Put ingredients in food processor.Pulse 5-6 times-do not Puree.
6-In large bowl, put in pulsed ingredients with 3/4-1 cup unflavored bread crumbs. Add a
touch of salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper. Mix well.
7-Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
8-Put a little oil in frying pan. Heat.
9-With an ice cream scoop, form patties by using 2 scoops of mixture. Make into patties.
Press patties in dry bread crumbs, turn over and do the same on other side of patties.
10-Brown patties 3-4 minutes on each side.



Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:

1-I didn't have yellow split peas, so used the green split peas I had on hand.
2-Of course I used my own home made broth. I used about 3 1/2 cups broth. I used Portabella Mushrooms as they have a chewy texture to them. I also added 2 pkg. of Herb Ox- No Sodium
Beef Flavoring to the mixture after it was cooked.
3-I made my own bread crumbs by lightly toasting and putting in the food processor.
4--I used Ian's Panko Bread Crumbs for the final breading. I wanted crumbs that were super
fine. Found then at Festival Foods in Natural Food Aisle.

Would really be interested in your comments.


Enjoy!!!
Have a super day!!!!


No comments: