Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bean Salad-Dennis Favorite


Ingredients:
1 can black beans-rinsed
2 cans black eyed peas-rinsed
1 can She peg or yellow corn
4 green onions- chopped
1/2 cup parsley-chopped
2 clove garlic-minced
8 oz.Marzetti's Sweet Italian Dressing
Marinate and serve.
-
This recipe is Dennis Dobberstein's favorite. Doesn't it look yummy!!!
He brought it to the potluck Dec. 1
Thanks Dennis!
-
I forgot to add the corn to above recipe. I put it on a bed of dark greens.
-
Comments from Verna's kitchen:
  1. I took Dennis's recipe, which is excellent, and made a few changes, just because I have to watch my sodium and I need to eat more raw veggies.
  2. I used only 1 can of Black Eyed Peas as I found they were high in sodium.
  3. I did fine a brand Shurfine Black eye Peas with 250 mg. Most brands were way higher than that. In place of the can of Black Eyed Peas, I substituted Kuners Pinto Beans with no salt added.
  4. Also because I like crunchy, I added red pepper, celery, and broccoli to the above recipe.
  5. I did cut way back on the dressing, because for me it had too much sugar. (it sure is good though), Again, I used some of the dressing, and added dry Italian Seasoning and some black pepper as I like a bite to my food.
Just a thought, this recipe is such a great recipe and so very versatile, you could add to it as much as you like. Or keep it just like Dennis gave to us!!! Thanks again Dennis.
Enjoy!!!
Have a super day!!

No comments: