Monday, December 27, 2010

Chef Emily's Black Bean and Corn Stew


A friend brought me this soup last week when I wasn't feeling well. Thank God for friends.
-
This is so very good, quick and easy. All the things we busy people like.
Give it a try, I think you will like it.
-
Serves 6-8
-
Ingredients:
4 tsp oil
1 medium onion -chopped
4 clove garlic -minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 4 1/2 ounce can green chilies
2 15 oz. cans black beans, drain and rinsed
2 14 oz. cans or 4 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups water
10 oz. frozen corn
-
Directions:
  • In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook until softened, 5-6 minutes.
  • Add garlic and cumin, continue cooking until fragrant about 2 minutes.
  • To the pan, add the rest of the ingredients, (not the corn)
  • Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes.
  • In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of the stew. Return puree to pan.
  • Add frozen corn.
  • Simmer about 5 minutes more.
Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. I did not use the oil. I used a spray.
  2. I added a can of kidney beans, that I rinsed and drained.
  3. I forgot to puree the 2 cups. It was just fine.
  4. After toasting some high fiber bread. I sprayed with butter spray and sprinkled with garlic powder.
  5. After putting toast under the broiler, I cut the toast into strips. Yum, yum.
  6. Great for dunking into soup.

- Remember soup is always better the next day.

Enjoy!!!
-
Have a super day!!!.

No comments: