Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mock Crab Cakes



A friend that I met in Penn, at SummerFest gave me this recipe. They are really tasty.

With zucchini being so plentiful this is a great time to make these.

I grate the zucchini the night before I want to use this recipe. Put the grated zucchini on a baking sheet and freeze. The next day I remove from freezer and thaw. To rush the thawing process, run under col water. It is really important to squeeze all the water out of the zucchini before using. You could put salt on the zucchini to remove the water, but I didn't want more salt in this recipe. Also freeze grated zucchini in freezer bags for use in the winter months.

Ingredients:


  • 2 1/2 cups zucchini, grated, squeezed dry-You don't

  • need to peel on young zucchini

  • Egg replacer for 1 egg

  • 1 tablespoon Earth Balance, melted

  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasonings-get the one with lowest sodium content

  • 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard- I used Dijon Mustard

  • 1 1/2 cups Italian Bread Crumbs-Way to high in sodium, so I use plain breadcrumbs and added 1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings

  • 1 small onion chopped fine

  • 1 small green pepper chopped fine

  • 1 Tablespoon vegan mayonnaise

  • pepper to taste

Directions:


  1. Mix all the ingredients. Shape into small patties. Roll in bread crumbs.

  2. Fry in sprayed pan or use the tablespoon Earth Balance.

  3. These freeze up really nice.


I served these with a Cucumber sauce:


  1. cucumber with peel and seeds removed

  2. fresh dill

  3. onion, chopped fine.

  4. A touch of garlic

  5. little lemon juice

  6. pepper to taste

  7. oh yes and you can use vegan yogurt, mayonnaise or sour cream or a combination there of.


No comments: