Friday, September 30, 2011

Tomato Stacks







This is a really good recipe.




I made it the first time with vegan cheese (top picture) between the layers of tomato's, and on top of the tomato. The cheese didn't melt real good, even though I put it under the broiler.It was really boring, not a lot of flavor.


I had a friend in for lunch yesterday and tried it again, this time using a cheese sauce recipe I had. It was really tasty this way. Lots of flavor. What was really nice was I made the sauce the day before so all I had to do was pile everything together after heating the sauce.




  • Sauce Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance

  • 1/3 cup flour of choice

  • 3 cups unflavored rice milk

  • 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast

  • 2 Tablespoons tomato paste

  • 1 teaspoon salt-go easy

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

  • freshly ground black pepper

  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice

  • 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar


Directions:


  1. Make a roux with the Earth Balance and flour.

  2. Add the milk . At this point I used my immersion blender to mix, and it went very quickly.

  3. Add yeast, paste, salt, garlic and onion powder.

  4. Continue to thicken.

  5. Add lemon juice, agave nectar, and pepper to taste.



To make Tomato Stacks:


  1. Slice a slab of tomato, put on a plate.

  2. Sprinkle with sliced black olives, fresh basil, avocado-optional

  3. Put several spoons full of cheese sauce over the top.

  4. Repeat layers, ending with black olives and fresh parsley.




Give it a try with those last fresh tomatoes of the season. I think you will really enjoy it.



I served it with garlic toast points.

This cheese sauce freezes very well. It did not separate after thawing.






Enjoy!!





1 comment:

Jean L. said...

MMMMMMM. . .so good, Verna. The "cheese" sauce was like the real thing. Thanks for another mouth-watering delight.