Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sauerkraut

I was listening to P Allen Smith, on the Create channel. He mentioned his Aunt

makes her sauerkraut his way and it is excellent.

I put up 8 quarts this afternoon in less than a hour. What a piece of cake it was.

They need to ferment in a dark cool place for a month and then I can try it. The problem with most sauerkraut is that it is so high in sodium.

Anyway here is the recipe in case you would like to try it!!!

Directions:

Stuff a hot quart jar with shredded cabbage. Push down tightly. Make sure the neck is clear of cabbage.

Put in the jar:

1 teaspoon canning salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon vinegar-I used Apple cider vinegar.

Fill to the neck with boiling water

Seal with a hot lid, and of course the ring

Put in a dark cool place for a month.

You can put the jars in a hot water bath for 20 minutes, but P. Allen Smith said it was not necessary.


Anxious to give it a try in a month. I want to make some "Reuben: Sandwiches. If this turns out you will see a recipe on my blog very soon for Reuben Sandwiches.

Yummy Yummy!!!

No comments: