Saturday, April 21, 2012

Black Bean Soup with Frog Ranch Salsa




I'm sorry it is almost midnight and I decided to put this picture of the soup on my blog.
. Being so late and dark out I did not want to go out side to get some parsley or mint to put on this picture so I used celery tops. Not the best for the picture.


Anyway This recipe was on the Dish Network. The chef said it was the best he had ever had, so I decided to make it. When I was finished making it, it was so very bland that I added the Frog Ranch Salsa and some black pepper. A little Sriacha Sauce is good in this also to give it some life. After refrigerating over night it was very enjoyable.


Please leave off the celery greens. :)

Ingredients:


  • 2 cups diced onions

  • 2 green peppers-diced

  • 6 large garlic cloves -minced fine

  • 30 oz re fried beans (check last posting for the re fried bean recipe)

  • 48 oz. low sodium beef broth- I used my home made vegetable broth and added 4 Herb Ox-No Sodium- Bullion)

  • 3/4 cup white rice-PLEASE NO white rice-I used wild rice or brown would be good

  • 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder-I added a whisker more.

  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

  • 1 teaspoon oregano

Directions:



  1. In a large sprayed kettle, brown onion, green peppers, cook about 10 minutes.

  2. Add garlic an cook for another minute.

  3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes

  4. Taste for seasoning and serve with garnishes.

I felt it was flat so added 1 jar of the Frog Ranch Dressing. Found at Woodmens in aisle 12.


Garnishes:


  • Grated cheese of choice

  • Green onions-chopped

  • Cilantro-chopped

  • Hot sauce

  • Broken Nacho Chips

  • Diced tomato

  • Sour cream of choice-watch the sodium

Enjoy!! Remember soup is always better the second day or after.

No comments: