Friday, April 6, 2012

Calico Baked Beans

I got this recipe from a very good friend Ed Adams. I changed the recipe some to keep the sodium down. Give them a try. They are excellent.


  • Ingredients:
    1 large onion diced, microwave for 2 minutes

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar or sweetener of choice

  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar

  • 2 T. prepared mustard (Koops Horseradish Mustard)

  • 1 T. liquid smoke

  • 1 T. Bulls Eye Barbecue Sauce

  • 1 16 oz pkg. frozen Lima beans-or substitute black beans or garbanzo beans

  • 1 can B & M vegetarian baked beans (28 oz )

  • 1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained



Directions:


  1. Mix all ingredients together in a large kettle. Heat 3-4 minutes or until warm.

  2. Bake for 1 hour at 350 until hot and bubbly.

This recipe was modified from a Taste of Home Recipe to make vegetarian.


Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:


  1. I saute the onions in a sprayed pan rather than the microwave.

  2. I used a little less of cider vinegar.

  3. Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce was my choice as the sodium was 86 mg.which is lower than most. I used at least 1/2 tablespoon more of the sauce-Oh yes I found it at Woodman's.

  4. Also used Kuner's Black Beans (no salt added) rather than the Lima beans.

  5. I doubled the recipe and put in my dutch oven kettle to cook.

These are excellent!!!

Enjoy!!!
.

No comments: