Monday, November 19, 2012

Caramel Corn

What a treat! I looked up several recipes  for Caramel Corn, and tried a combination of some of the recipes.
I changed a few ingredients to make it CHIP Friendly
As far as I know my Vegan granddaughter is coming home from college and will spend some time with me this Thanksgiving weekend.. I want to make some fun foods with her, but wanted to try them before she got here. I doubled bagged the finished caramel corn over a week ago in freezer bags. (squeeze all the air out of the bag) I like to see how long it stays fresh as I would  like to make some for my grand kids and great grand kids for Christmas. I am also dehydrating bananas, pineapple and kiwi  for them.
With 15 grand kids and 6 great grand kids I have to start early.

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup on- pop pop corn. Pop in anyway you like.
  •  Please do Not use microwave popcorn. add no seasonings.
  •  Remove all old maids.

Ingredients for the Syrup:
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance
  • 1 cup dark brown turbinado sugar-or sugar of choice
  • 1/4 cup rice syrup
  • 1 &1/2 Tablespoon's dark molasses
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Pour the popped popcorn into a large bowl.
  4. In a large saucepan bring the following to a boil. Earth Balance, dark brown sugar, rice syrup, molasses and salt
  5. When the syrup comes to a boil, reduce heat, but continue a rolling boil.
  6. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  7. Remove from heat  and add the baking soda. This will foam up. Continue to mix until well bended.
  8. Carefully pour over the popcorn and mix well.
  9. Spread the hot caramel corn onto the parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven, and cool completely.
  11. Store in a air tight container. I use double wrapped freezer bags. Remove all air from the bags.
Tip:
After making this recipe several times, I decided I may want to save on the calories:
I cut back the brown sugar to 3/4 of a cup.
Also I used about 3/4 cup of onpopped popcorn.
It was still very good. Don't forget the baking soda, if you do this. ( the baking soda, causes the carmel to expand)

 Popcorn Balls:

        I have 6 great grand kids. I plan on making the above recipe for them, omitting the baking soda.
  1. When comfortable to handle, I will make them into medium sized popcorn balls. While still warm I was planning on putting a popsicle stick into one end, squeezing the popcorn ball around the stick..
  2. When completely cool, cover with Press 'n Seal, and then a colored saran wrap with loose ends hanging down by the stick.A pretty, red ribbon around the top of the stick to hold the saran wrap would be very nice for Christmas. This  idea is still in my head. When I do it I will post a picture and let you know if there was any pit falls to this idea.

From Verna's Test Kitchen:

  1. I have made  the caramel corn 3 times. When I made it over the weekend, I put the popped popcorn into 2 very large mixing bowls. I sprayed the bowls lightly,(and wiped lightly with paper towel to get off any excess spray) before putting the popcorn in. The syrup sticks to the bowl and is hard to get out.
  2. Use 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
  3. When stirring, make sugar to mix in the uncoated popcorn
  4.  You will find caramel deposits on the parchment paper. Stir well into the caramel corn..

This would be a wonderful treat to those young ones in our lives. Ummm!!! I am one of those young ones.




No comments: