Thursday, November 1, 2012

Minestrone Soup

My really good friend Ed, gave this recipe to me. You will find it very enjoyable on these cold days.

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion-chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves-minced or 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
  • 2 carrots cut into slices
  • 2 celery stalks-sliced, including tops
  • 2 medium potatoes or yams, scrubbed and cut into chunks
  • 1 46 oz. can low sodium, tomato juice
  • 1 15 oz. can Italian styled stewed tomatoes-because I was using my canned tomatoes that I put up, I just used an extra teaspoon of Italian seasonings
  • 46 oz. vegetable stock-or water
  • 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs-I used 2 teaspoons
  • 2 tablespoons -chopped parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon each Mrs. Dashes tomato, basil, garlic seasonings
  • black pepper to taste
  • I added 4 Herb Ox no sodium Beef flavorings
  • 1 medium zucchini-diced
  • 1/2 cup whole grain pasta shells-I used none
  • 1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans-drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz. can great northern beans-drained and rinsed
  • 1-2 cups chopped kale, collard greens or spinach
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsleyy flakes

Directions:
  1. Saute the onions and garlic. About 3 minutes or so. Ad carrots, celery, continue sauteing. 2-3 more minutes. Add potatoes, parsley, tomato juice, tomatoes, stock, Italian Herbs, black pepper, Mrs. Dash Seasonings,.
  2. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes.
  3. Add the pasta if using,  add beans, and parsley fakes. Simmer 20 minutes more until pasta is tender.
  4. Add greens, cook until wilted.
  5. add extra tomato juice if to thick.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: