Monday, November 12, 2012

Wheat Berry & Fruit Salad

A very special friend lost her mother this week, so I have been cooking up a storm so I could take a meal to the family. I was home about half an hour just to find out another friend has died today. Looks like I will have the opportunity to make more food this week. If the recipes turn out I will post them in the next few days.
 
I have never tried wheat berries until a few months ago. They are very enjoyable to eat. I love the chewiness of the berries. This is one of the recipes I took to my friends this evening.
I found the recipe in the Woman's Day Magazine, of course I tweet it some.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup wheat berries
  • 3 Tablespoons oil-I used 1 Tablespoon
  • 2 Tablespoons water-I used 5 Tablespoons water
  • 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon each salt an pepper-I used more pepper
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries-I used 1/3-1/2  cup cranberries
  • 1 large apple with peel on, cut bite size-I was going to use 2  apples but was on a tight schedule.
  • 1 cup red seedless grapes-I used 1 & 1/2 cups.
  • Baby greens-I forgot to put the salad on the greens-Yikes the greens are still in the frig.
 
Directions:
  1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
  2. Add wheat berries, cover and cook for about 45 minutes. Drain well.
  3. Whisk oil, water,vinegar,mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  4. Add dried cranberries and wheat berries. Toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes, tossing occasionally for wheat berries to coat slightly.. If you want to make ahead and serve cold, cover and refrigerator up to a day or so.
  5. Add remaining ingredients, except greens and serve on baby greens  lined plates. Don't forget like I did.

Enjoy!~
  

No comments: