Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Scrumptios Mashed Potatos

How do you make mashed potatoes? I will be 73 in May-I have cooked all my life and always have boiled my potatoes in water to cook them. Was there any other way????  I thought I was doing good as I was making them from scratch and not instant potatos.
I was watching America's Test Kitchen some time back and they said boiling potatoes in water was a no-no. OK, I am still learning everyday so I decided to do the potatoes there way for my friends meal yesterday.
By the way, the picture above for the mashed potatoes are on a clear plate with a very busy place mat underneath.
 
Ingredients:
  1. Use Russet potatoes-no substitute. Peel and cut into 1 inch cubes -I had about 4 lbs of potatoes.
  2. Rinse for 1 minute under cold water with spay-This will get rid of a lot of the starch.
  3. Put 1 inch of water in a dutch oven.
  4. While steaming, mix together,1 cup rice milk or unflavored soy milk.The recipe called for 1 & and 1/2 cups of milk. I held back as you can always add more.
  5. Earth Balance-I used about a 1/2 cup.The recipe called for more.
  6. 1/2 teaspoon pepper- or to taste
  7. 1 teaspoon salt
  8. I added about 1 teaspoon garlic powder, as I know my friend likes garlic in her potatos.
  9. After potatos are cooked-dry them off.
  10. Put dried steamed potatoes in a mixer.
  11. Put on low speed for a minute or two.
  12. Gradually add milk substitute.
  13. Put mixer on high speed for two minutes or so until all the lumps are gone.
 
This is my new best mashed potato's recipe.

I will try to put as many new recipes  as I can, on my blog before the Holidays to help my new vegan/vegetarian friends.
 
Enjoy!!

No comments: