Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back Soon

Mom's (Verna's) computer is being fixed so I (her daughter) am doing a little intervening with an addition to her blog. Hopefully she won't mind me hijacking her blog for a bit. She doesn't know I'm doing it yet.

While taking on the task of cleaning the cupboard this afternoon I came across a recipe that I haven't seen in a decade. I'd hate to think it's been that long since I cleaned that cupboard so lets just say it's been a while.

The great recipe that I found is for Pesto. Made with fresh basil of course. Anyone who knows me, also knows that I'm nuts about basil and love to sing its glories. It smells good, you can grow it near your windows to keep the flys away, and I'm almost certain that if everyone ate basil, it would cause world peace. Without further ado here is the recipe.

Pesto Dip or Spread

2 to 3 cloves garlic: chop in food processor. (Roasted garlic is best but optional)

Chop and Add:
1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves.
1/4 cup firmly packed fresh parsley

Add to the food processor and blend until smooth:
1/2 pound regular tofu
3 tablespoons of pine nuts or walnuts
2 tablespoons soy Parmesan
2 tablespoons olive oil
Optional - 1/4 tea salt

  • Spread on crackers, thin toasted bread, or use for vegetable dip.
  • You can spread your pesto on a fresh homemade pizza crust and add a few other ingredients like fresh tomato slices, red onion slices, green and orange peppers, jalapenos, salsa, and even corn kernels. Bake about 10 min. or until the crust is done and everything has that beautiful roasted appearance. Sprinkle the pizza with fresh cilantro before serving.

Calories
2 tablespoons of pesto = 52 calories.

I'm suddenly hungry for a pesto pizza.

Mom (Verna) won't be able to see this post until I give her the computer back. The hope is to return her computer tomorrow morning.

If you see her, ask if she saw this yet!

No comments: