Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rutabaga's

My youngest grandson holding up a rutabaga. They are purple on the top which is not to noticeable on the picture.


As I was giving grocery shopping tours last week, I challenged each group to try a new fresh vegetable each week.
Someone asked me about rutabaga's. What do you do with a rutabaga? Upon research most of the times they are mashed with potatoes, used in soups etc., which is not what I wanted to do.
I decided to go on a mission and make them into patties. This is what I came up with.



Hope you like what I did Jeff, with the rutabaga's.



Rutabaga's

Roast at 425-450-I did 450. Depends on your oven
3 large carrots
1 large red onion
5-6 clove garlics
3-4 potatoes-I used sweet potatoes as they needed to be used up. Didn't peel.

Directions:
1-Put all veggies on 2 sprayed baking sheets.
2-Spray veggies lightly. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
3-Roast until golden brown, turn roast on other side.
4-Remove from oven.

At this point they could have been eaten, as they where delicious.

But as I said I was on a mission.
1-So I put half of the veggies into the food processor with some of my home made vegetable broth. Go easy on the broth as you want to make these into patties.
2-Scrape mixture into a large container.
3- Proceeded to put the rest of the veggies in the food processor, adding liquid as needed
4-Scrape mixture into the bowl with the other veggies.
5-I added about 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes to the mixture.
6-Form into patties, cover with bread crumbs,and fry in a hot skillet that had been sprayed with oil.

Comments:
They had a wonderful flavor, but where quite soft.
I would probably stop after roasting the vegetables and eat them at that time. Just more work them I had anticipated.
If I did chose to go as far as I did, rather than making them into patties, I would probably put mixture in sprayed glass pan and put crumbs on the top and bake at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute