Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cauliflower "Steak".


Over the Holidays, I made this several times and really enjoyed it. I made it again today with a sauce, but felt the sauce was too strong for the delicate flavor of the "steak".
This is a Verna recipe.
I cut the cauliflower vertically in about 1 1/2 "steaks". The outside of the cauliflower fell apart, so I used with my Tofu Dip.
Directions:
  • Turn oven on to 375 degrees.
  • I used eggs to equal 2 eggs with the Egg Replacer. Mixed well and left sit for about 5 minutes.
  • Rub the "steak" with the above mixture.
Panko Mix:
  • 1 cup Panko Mix
  • 2 teaspoons Braggs 24 herb and Seasoning, or seasoning you prefer.
  • Touch of garlic powder
  • touch of onion powder.
  • Ground fresh black pepper to taste.

  • I put the mixture in a pie plate and put my "steaks" in the mixture. Coat both sides of the "steak" with the Panko Mixture.
  • Put in a hot sprayed or lightly greased pan and brown on both sides.
  • Place the "steaks"in a sprayed glass pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  • Want the "steak" to be crunchy in the center.
  • Serve immediately with Cheese Sauce

Of course Jean, a Cheese sauce is what this needed. Thanks!! I was trying to go gourmet.

Cheese sauce:

  • 2 cups soy/rice milk
  • 4 oz. pimento with juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp teaspoon salt-optional
  • 4 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/4 plus teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2teaspoon chili powder-optional
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika

Directions:

  1. Blend cashews and pimento in small amount of soy/rice milk until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, Blend to mix,
  3. Cook in heavy pan, stirring constantly until thick.

I really enjoyed this. I hope you will like it also. Just something a little different.

1 comment:

Jean L. said...

One "steak" would not be enough for me. . .I'd have to eat at least 2!! How about some "un"
cheesy sauce for on top?? That pix
sure got my taste buds going. What a great idea, Verna!!