Friday, January 28, 2011

Spicy Sweet Potato Burritos

I found this recipe in the magazine, Penzeys Spices.
I tried it today and found it very enjoyable. It said it was spicy. But for you out there that don't like spicy-spicy it was not.
-
Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes ( 1 1/2 lb. or so)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional) I used fresh ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) I did not use
6 Whole Wheat Tortillas-I used Fat Flush Tortillas and did 8
-
Optional fillings:
1/2 cup chopped olives-I did not use
1 cup chopped tomatoes-I put on the side
1 cup cheese of choice-I did not use
1/3 cup chopped green onions-the recipe did not call for onions, but I felt it needed it.
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro-I did not use
-
Directions:
1-Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potato with a fork, bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon their size of the sweet potato.

2-Remove sweet potatoes from oven and let cool.

3-While the sweet potatoes where baking. I combined all the other ingredients except lime juice.
4-Scoop out cooled sweet potato into a bowl and mash with lime juice.
5-Add to the other ingredients.
6-Mix well.

7-Spoon mixture in tortillas along with any optional fillings desired.

8-Roll up and put into a sprayed glass pan with, rolled side down.

9-The recipe said to bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. I felt it needed more like 20 minutes.

-

This would be great with a Vegan Cheese sauce.
-
Enjoy!!
-
If you have not gone to Penzeys Spices, give them a visit. they have many salt free spices.
A very special store.








No comments: