Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 News Letter

The Imes Bridge which is the oldest of the five remaining covered bridges.
With my great grandchildren in Menominee Park in Dec. I have lots of layers of clothes on.

The host family in Kansas. My son and his family. My grandson being silly. He takes
after his grandmother.


Verna in front of the Crown Center.


My family-aren't we just so gorgous!!!!!!!!





Union Station in Kansas City!



My very first cookbook. Yeah!!!!!!

Most people sent out news letters with their Christmas Cards. I wanted to wait until we returned from Kansas to do that..

Every year my daughter and 5 sons get together with one another for several days bringing in the New Year. This year it was designated to be in Kansas at my sons home. He has a delightful wife with 3 fabulous teenage children.

I rode down with my daughter and her husband. The day we arrived it was 60 degrees, but very quickly change to 24 degrees the next day.

When traveling to an area I love learning about that area of the country.

Kansas is known for there barbecue sauce, its the home of Hallmark. Sprint was started in Kansas. It's the city of fountains, and of course Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. One more important part of Kansas is my son lives their and his family.

Being together with my adult children is always an adventure. Every one of them loves to cook.

Colleen made a tortilla soup that was out of this world. With lots of fun garnished on top.

All of my boys are into gourmet cooking. They do the cooking while the woman and kids are taking in the sites in the area. There was 23 of us in my son's and his wife's' home. Can you imagine having that many people in your home and cooking for them!!!

New Year's Eve day we went to Union Station which is in Kansas City. (picture above)

Union Station was a train station which went through the heart of Kansas City. At this time it has been made into a Historical Building with traveling exhibits. Some of the family went to see the Dinosaur display which was at Union Station over the Holidays.

We went to Crown Center, which is one of the original malls of the country.

Back at my son's home, cooking was in full progress. It is always fun watching my kids with their friendly banter back and forth as they are coming up with their culinary delights.


The results are always out of this world, but not always CHIP friendly.

I behaved myself most of the time, but their where those moments.

Before we ate, family pictures where taken. After picture taking, I was presented with my very first cookbook, which my daughter took from my blog and made into a cookbook. She had all the family birthdays listed which everyone autographed. Also a special place at the end for my kids and their spouses to autograph.


Of course I cried, what a surprise. My very own cook book. (picture above)


On New Years Day we started back and made it a two day trek. On the way back we went through Madison County in Iowa and drove through and Old Covered Bridge. So very cool. Picture above.
I have a son in law that was pretty much willing to stop wherever my daughter and I wanted to go. (If there was a man out there my age, like that, I would sure be interested. Mumm!! Maybe!! )
Covered Bridges where built for the purpose of preserving the heavy timbers of the floor of the bridge. This bridge was named the King Covered Bridge.
Originally there were 16 covered bridges in the area, all built between 1855-1885. They were usually built of Northern White Pine and Oak at a cost of $900.00 to $1,900. That was a lot of money in those days.
At this time there are only 5 remaining covered bridges.


January 2010:

  • Colleen created my blog for me. Thank God for a daughter that is way more computer literate than I am. She has been a huge help.


  • The second week in January we started a new CHIP Class.



  • I have taught Interior Design, Flower Arranging, and Wedding Planning at Fox Valley Tech.


  • Ran my own Flower shop for 30 years.

  • But never have I had a job, that I enjoy as much as the CHIP class. I so enjoy working with Heidi. She is really awesome.


  • Getting to know each and everyone of you that come into the class has been truly a privilege.


At the end of the month I spoke in Waukesha sharing my testimony and hopefully

giving everyone hope and encourgement to turn their lives around.



  • March:

  • Started another CHIP Class


  • Dr. Kay and I traveled to southern Illinois with Jody Perrcome to be on 3ABN World Wide TV with Dr. Hans Diehl. What a privileged and honor to be able to do this.

  • The end of March, Mary and I started bike riding as the weather was in the 60's. It was a real hard year for bike riding as we had lots of wind and rain in the summer. We put on 1,800 miles which was quite a bit less than the year before. We did travel out of the area a few times to hit some really cool trails.


  • July:

  • In July Dr. Kay and I shared my testimony at the extension in Menasha when Dr. Hans Diehl was in town.


  • August:

  • I went back to school to become a National Speaker. I am the very oldest person in class by far. Yikes!!!! But we are only as old as we feel. Right??

  • September:

  • Started a New CHIP Class.

  • I was really busy making and selling my wares for craft shows. Pictures on my blog.

  • I was asked to take over the Alumni Classes, which I am thrilled about.

  • Also organized a wonderful Advisory board to help the CHIP Alumni, be full of learning experiences, making new friends, and just lots of fun.

  • December:

  • went on a sleigh ride with my daughter, son in law and 5 great grandchildren in Menominee Park in Oshkosh. Saw some beautiful Christmas lights.

  • Did flowers for a really big wedding. Plus busy with craft shows.
Where has the year gone. It has been a full and exciting year.

I hope the New Year is a very prosperous, full year for each and everyone of you.

Now you know just a little more about my personnel life. Aren't you just so excited that I shared this. Ha ha.






























1 comment:

Jean L. said...

COOL, COOL, SUPER COOL!!! And. . . welcome home, Verna. Loved the pix of Union Station & your family.
That cookbook is such a work of love. .are you going to have it published for all of us to enjoy??
:)