Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Butternut Squash Bisque with Gremolata

Large Butternut Squash



Butternut Squash Bisque with Gremolata



I came home from the CHIP Class and could not sleep so got up and made this bisque.
I had this really large Butternut Squash and needed to use it up as I have had it for about 2 weeks.

I did double the following recipe as you can see the squash is quite large

. The sweetness of the bisque and the tartness of the Gremolata makes for a very tasty recipe.

This is a single recipe.

Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup chopped onion

  • 1 clove garlic

  • 1 small Butternut Squash-peeled and cubed into 1 inch.

  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock-I used my frozen home made stock

  • 2 Herb Ox -No Sodium Chicken Bullion was my addition

  • 4 (4 inch) stalks fresh Rosemary

  • 2 Bay Leaves

  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste

  • Pinch of salt-I did not use.

  • Next time I would use 2 apples- peeled and diced.

Cranberry Gremolata


  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts- I used a whisker more

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries

  • 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno

  • 3 teaspoons orange zest

  • pinch of sugar-I used a pinch of Steviatime I would add 2 pealed and diced apples to the kettle.


Directions:


  1. Combine all the Cremolata topping and set aside.

  2. Spray kettle with oil. Add onions and saute until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, continue sauteing 2 minutes or so.

  3. Add squash, stock, rosemary, bay leaves, Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until squash is tender.

  4. Remove an discard rosemary stalks, bay leaves.

  5. With an immersion blender, blend soup till creamy.

  6. Season with salt an pepper, Serve with Gremola on top.

Enjoy!!



No comments: