Thursday, March 15, 2012

Verna's Vegan Lasagna




Ohhh!! this is really good

I am so bummed as I was suppose to have surgery on Monday the 12th. I was all set to go to surgery and they found out I had an infection. So they scheduled surgery for Friday the 16th. Once again it was cancelled as I have bladder infection. Yuk.The doctor said they want to wait several weeks to make sure I am OK.

Anyway here is the recipe.


Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2-2 onions-diced-I used the food processor

  • 4 garlic cloves- crushed-I used the food processor

  • 3 large portabella mushrooms- cleaned -put in food processor, process to look like hamburger.

  • 1 -6 oz can tomato paste-low sodium, Shurfine is 20 mg.

  • 2 1/2-- 8 oz cans of tomato sauce-I used Contadina-no salt added

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt-the recipe called for 1 1/2 teaspoons, but that is more than I should have

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano

  • 2 teaspoon dried basil

  • 2-2 1/2 cups Mori-Nu Silken Tofu-soft-drained and put in food processor to make creamy.

  • 2 cubes of parsley, that was frozen and thawed-can use fresh-about 1/3 of a cup

  • 6 oz. bag of baby fresh spinach-chopped in food processor.

  • 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese.

  • Whole Wheat lasagna noodles-partially cooked

  • 16 oz vegan mozzarella cheese shredded.

  • Directions:


  1. In large saucepan over medium heat, saute 2-3 minutes the onion and garlic.

  2. Add chopped portabella mushrooms. Saute 3-4 minutes more.

  3. Add tomato paste and tomato sauce.

  4. Add seasonings. Cook 6-8 minutes.

  5. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.

  6. In a separate bowl. add tofu, spinach, pinch of salt, pepper, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Set aside.

  7. Drain the partially cooked Lasagna noodles.

  8. In 9 by 13 " glass pan, put about 1/2-3/4 cup of tomato sauce, in the bottom of the pan.

  9. Top with lasagna noodles.add about 1/3 to of the tofu/spinach mixture .

  10. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.

  11. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with mozzarella cheese.

  12. Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes, covered

  13. I used parchment paper-tin foil is rumored to cause dementia and alshimers disease.

  14. Remove parchment paper and bake 30 minutes more.

  15. Leave sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Freezes wonderfully. I cut the lasagna into serving pieces. put on a cookie sheet and freeze. After it is frozen I put in freezer bags and mark and date.


This is a real treat. I had a non vegan person in for lunch and she really like it.




Enjoy!!!!










No comments: