Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lemon Bars



These are really good. I love anything that has a lemon flavor to it.Instead of a bar it is more like a torte. At least that is the way mine turned out. Give them a try, I think you will really enjoy the fresh flavor of these.

I found the recipe on Peaceful Plate. I have found several good recipes on this website.

Ingredients:

Crust:


  • 1- 1/3 cup rolled oats

  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

  • 7-8 dates-I cut each date into 4 pieces

  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt-I used some less

  • 1/4 cup almond meal or almond flour

  • 1/4 cup coconut oil-melted


Lemon cream:


  • 2 cups coconut milk. I used SoDelicious unsweetened Yogurt Plain-this is not the canned milk. I found it in the refrigerator case at Free Market on Wisconsin Ave.

  • 2 Tablespoons agar agar flakes-I used arrowroot as agar agar is very expensive. (This was used as a thickener)

  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice-I used a whisker more that is probably why mine turned out like a torte.

  • 1/4 teaspoon Lemon Zest- Again I used more like 1/2 teaspoon.

  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar

  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract- I used a whisker more.

  • 3 pinches of turmeric-for color

  • A pinch of salt-I use Pink Himalayan

  • 1-6 oz, container non-dairy plain yogurt

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Spray a 8 by 8 inch glass pan.

  2. Place the oats,shredded coconut dates and salt into a food processor and process until dates are chopped fine.

  3. Add almond meal and pulse 4-5 times until everything is well mixed.

  4. Add coconut oil and pulse until it comes together as a dough.

  5. Press this into your glass pan-I felt the crust was too thick so I took out about 3/4 cup of the crust and put in another container to brown when baking the crust. (I sprinkled this on the finished dessert.

  6. Bake the crust and the extra crumbs for about 10-15 minutes until the edges are golden. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.

  7. Place the 2 cups coconut milk into a medium saucepan. Sprinkle the arrowroot over the top. Let sit for a few minutes.

  8. Add lemon juice, zest, agave, turmeric and salt. Whisk to combine.

  9. Bring mixture to a slow boil. One the mixture comes to a rolling boil, set your timer for 10 minutes. reduce heat a bit and let mixture boil for the 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

  10. Remove from the heat and whisk in the yogurt and vanilla.

  11. Pour over the cooled crust, and sprinkle the top with the extra crumbs.

  12. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to set. Leave in the refrigerator at least 1 hour before serving..

  13. Keep in the refrigerator when not being served.


Enjoy!!!


No comments: