Sunday, September 30, 2012

Asian-Style Fried Rice and Beans

I found this recipe in Better Homes and Garden Magazine-the October Issue.
Besides being very attractive it also tasted very good. I made a few minor changes but not to many.
 I have found over the years, Better Homes and Garden usually has good recipes.
This was easy to make, plus for the most part the groceries it calls for I had on hand. that is always really cool when that happens.

I really enjoyed this recipe. It was my evening meal today. I hope you give it a try.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into size as on picture. I added more pineapple as I really like it.
  • 1 Tabelspoon coconut oil, heated. I added a touch of Earth Balance with the coconut oil to brown the pineapple.
  • 2  medium carrots sliced on the bias. I used 3 medium carrots from my garden.
  • 4 cloves garlic-minced
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger-I used more
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1 - 15 oz. can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed-low sodium
  • 1 cup frozen peas thawed
  • 3 tabelspoons soy sauce- I used low sodium worchrshire sauce
  • 1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime-juiced
  • Oh yes and I did add freshly ground black pepper which the recipe did not call for.
Directions:
  1. Quarter pineapple slices, add coconut oil and earth Balance to pan.
  2. Brown the pineapple in a medium hot oil/Earth Balance until golden brown. About 2 minutes on each side to caramelize.
  3. Remove the pineapple from the skillet and set aside.
  4. Add carrots to the skillet, cooking and stirring for about 5 minues.
  5. Add garlic and ginger, stirring for aout 30 seconds.
  6. Stir in brown cooked rice, garbanzo beans, peas and worchershire sauce.
  7. Cook and stir abut 5 minutes or until heated through.
  8. Stir in cilanro.
  9. Squeeze 1 lime over entire mixture, stirring well.
**
Note:
  • I did add about 1/2 cup vegetable broth while cooking carrots as I felt it was to dry and did not want the carrots to burn. I added about 1/4 of a cup  after the rice was added also.
  • Also fresh ginger is a freezer gem. Place unpeeled fresh ginger in a freezer bag. When a recipe calls for fresh ginger, just grate it in its frozen state, no thawing required. (No I do not peel the ginger)
  • Refreeze any leftovr ginger.

Serves 4.
I put this on the plate and put my pineapple over the top and sprinkled  the pineapple with chopped cilaantro.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: