Sunday, September 23, 2012

Twiced Baked Yams

I was watching Chef Hubert Keller on Channel 38-3 over the weekend. He was busy making vegetarian burgers and these Twiced Baked Yams.
I loved the idea of putting broccoli and cauliflower with the baked yams so thought I would give it a try.
Just a note, if I made these again I would use fatter yams. The yams I used where thin and it was hard to get a nice shell after you scooped out the pulp.
There was only 4 ingredients in the recipe and no seasonings. Well for me that was way to flat so I added a bunch of seasonings. Actually they where very good the next day.
His recipe was.
Ingredients:
  • 4 yams-baked
  • 1 bag (14.4 oz.) Birds Eye Broccoli and Cauliflower-thawed
  • 1/2 cup plain soy milk or rice milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
Directions:
  1. Cut cooled yams in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. (I forgot to do that and my potatoes would not hold there shape as you can tell on the picture.)
  2. Place  the yam pulp in a large bowl and return shells to the baking dish.
  3. Add the thawed vegetables and milk substitute to the cooled yams and mash together. (I used my submersible blender)
  4. After I blended the above I felt it was way to flat so added some Earth Balance, garlic and onion powder. Braggs Sprinkles-24 Herbs and Spices. Also black pepper and a touch of salt.
  5. Divide the filling amongs the shells and sprinkle with 1 Tabelspoon cheese per filled shell. I was in one of those moods and sprinkled all the cheese on half of the filled shells. Didn't want the leftovers in the frig just to get lost.
  6. Return the filled shells to a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes until cheese has melted.

I think this recipe has lots of possibilities with the additions I made and hopefully some ideas you may have. I think some chives would be good in here for color.
Your comments would be appreciated.

No comments: