Thursday, January 17, 2013

Leek Soup







 Last evening I had some friends in for a birthday party. Even though none of them are vegan, I had a vegan menu.
I started with a Leek Soup which was excellent. I did not want a heavy soup as I had a full menu. The soup turned out very well. Give it a try, I think you will enjoy it a lot.
 
Leek Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 Tablespoon oil-water or broth
  • 2 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 2 small onions-chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt-optional
  • 3 cloves garlic-minced
  • 2 large sweet potatoes-(about 1 lb). peeled and cubed into i12 inch cubes-the recipe called for yukon gold potatoes-steamed
  • 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 cups of water- I added
  • 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash- Southwestern Chipolte Seasoning
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 2-3 teaspoons fresh rosemary
 
Directions:
  1. Heat a 4 quart soup kettle over medium heat and add oil.
  2. Saute leeks, onions, and salt if using. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring often until onions turn translucent.
  3. Add the garlic and cooked for 2-3 more minutes..
  4. Add the pototoes, broth and seasonings.
  5. Bring the soup to a boil, turn down heat and simmer45 minutes or so.

You can use your immersible blender to cream up the soup. I chose to leave it with the vegetables whole.

Enjoy!!

No comments: