Wednesday, October 23, 2013

French Toast with Cranberry Pear Compote

I found this recipe in the October Eating Well Magazine. It is absolutely delicious!!!!

Ingredients
  • 2 large ripe, but firm pears, peeled and chopped in small pieces
  • 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2-4 Tablespoons (go easy) raw agave nectar or raw honey-the recipe called for sugar which I won't use.
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried lemon peel-I used dried orange peel as that is what I have in the house.
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt-I did not use.

Directions:
  1. Put all ingredients (except lemon juice) in a small kettle.
  2. Bring to boil.
  3. Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes until cranberries burst.
  4. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.

French Toast.
  • I believe this is a Mary McDoughel recipe.
  • 8 slices bread
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/16 teaspoon turmeric-I did not use.
Directions:
  1. Blend cashews with 1/4 cup of water in a food processor.
  2. Then add remaining ingredients(not the bread) and process until very smooth.
  3. Dip slices of bread into the mixture to coat on both sides.
  4. Cook on a dry non-stick pan until browned on both sides. Top with Cranberry, Pear Compote.
The second time I made this I used Earth Balance on my bread.
Also with the topping I cut way back on the water and replaced it with fresh orange juice. Also added a couple of teaspoons of orange zest. It was really good.
 This would make a great cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.

Enjoy!!!!

No comments: