Saturday, October 19, 2013

Grape Chutney

O MG this is so very good. Tina I posted this because I was thinking about you and your question last evening at the grocery shopping tour,. WHAT DO I PUT ON MY TOAST?

I found this recipe in the October issue of Eating Well. It was suggested to eat it with pork etc, but we aren't going to do that. How about toast! How about on a Fat Flush tortilla shell with raw shaved veggies on top! How about on top of ice cream -a healthy ice cream that is.  I am sure there are lots of other places including as a salad dressing. Doesn't that sound good!!!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO-I did not use
  • 1/2 cups shallots-chopped
  • 2 cups seedless red, purple or black grapes-halved
  • **1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt-I did not use.

Directions:
  1. Saute shallots for 2 minutes.
  2. Add grapes and  the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
  1. I would add 1-2 Tablespoons cornstarch to this to thicken it.
  2. The grapes where suppose to be cut in half. Totally forgot to do that so I put everything in the food processor after it was half way cooked and pulsed a couple of times. Oh so much easier, and I like the looks of it.
  3. Oh yes I did not use dry sherry as I did not have any- I used Gallo Family Cabernet Suvignon! Don't ask me what the difference is as liquor is not my expertise. I just know I had a small bottle in the house and didn't look like something that I would want to drink! Although when you use wine or liquor in cooking you should always use something you would drink.

Give it a try. it is quick, easy and delicious! Can't ask for anything more.

Enjoy!!!


No comments: