Sunday, October 20, 2013

Rosemary Lentils and Kale on Toasted Bread

I found this recipe in October issue of Eating Well. I made it this afternoon and finished it up at my son's home. Next time I would make the bread individual servings. Not quite as big as this. It was really tasty and oh so good for you with all that kale in it.

Ingredients:
  • 3 clove garlic, minced-I used 4 or 5
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary-I used a whisker more
  • 4 cups water-I used low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup French Green Lentils-Free Market on Wisconsin Ave. in Appleton has these. These lentils hold there shape and don't collapse like other lentils
  • 8 cups chopped kale
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt-I did not use
  • 4 slices stale high fiber crusty bread
Directions:
  1. Saute garlic. Add crushed red pepper, and continue sauteing for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add tomato paste, rosemary and continue sauteing another minute or so.
  3. Add water/broth and bring to a boil.
  4. Add lentils, reduce heat to a simmer and cooked partially covered for 40 minutes.
  5. Add kale, stir well, Cover and cook 5 minutes or so until kale goes limp.
  6. Brush bread lightly with oil, bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
  7. Remove from oven and rub with garlic.
  8. Put 1 cup of kale mixture on top of each individual bread serving.

Enjoy!!

No comments: